I've been raving a bit about book launches lately (and peppering my Facebook feed with event details), so I thought I would write about why I think they are so fantastic.
So here are my top 7 reasons to take the kids to a book launch:
- Kids learn books don't magically appear on bookshelves. They learn that a very talented someone has carefully crafted words to create the story that they love.
- Authors sign books! And signed books are loved and cherished by kids. My three-year-old's eyes light up whenever I read her a special message from an author.
- You might get to meet local celebrities! Book launches are often hosted near where an author lives, so going to a launch often means you're supporting a local author.
- The kids will learn special author insights. Why did they write the book? What was the process? What is the author's favourite part?
- Bookish things encourage reading. And encouraging kids to read and love books is awesome!
- Discounts. Books are often discounted at their launch, so you could get a cheaper price than usual.
- Book launches are fun and free events! Book launches don't cost you anything to attend, you know there's going to be a story read and there are usually activities for the kids to do afterwards. I've been to a book launch where there was even a treasure hunt.
So there you go! My 7 reasons to take your kids to book launches. I swear, I promise, I absolutely guarantee you will not regret taking your kids to a book launch.